Ben Schmitt – Kansas City, Missouri Attorney Profile
Ben Schmitt Fights for You
Mr. Schmitt graduated with a Bachelor of Science in business administration and economics from Illinois College in 1981. He received his law degree from the University of Missouri-Kansas City in 1989. He is a member of the Missouri Bar (1990) and the Kansas Bar (1989).
Since graduation, Mr. Schmitt has been the first chair in over 100 jury trials in state and federal courts. Appellate experience includes arguments before the Missouri Supreme Court, Kansas Supreme Court, Missouri Court of Appeals, and the Kansas Court of Appeals. The cases tried for verdict range from ordinary traffic and premises liability matters to complex product liability, construction defect, and insurance disputes.
For the first several years of his legal career, Mr. Schmitt worked at and founded law firms that catered to businesses and insurance companies. During that time, Kansas City attorney Ben Schmitt was approached by individuals who had been injured in motorcycle and other traffic accidents and others who had claims denied by insurance companies. Mr. Schmitt found that representing people was more rewarding personally and professionally. He devotes 100 percent of his practice to those injured in traffic accidents, through medical malpractice, by a defective product, or have had claims wrongfully denied by an insurance company.
Kansas City attorney Ben Schmitt holds an “AV” rating from Martindale Hubbell, the highest rating issued by Martindale Hubbell. He holds a “Superb” rating by AVVO; again, this is the highest rating that the entity awards. He has been named “Best of the Bar” by the Kansas City Business Journal. He has been named as a Super Lawyer for both Missouri and Kansas.
He is a member of the American Association for Justice, the Missouri Association of Trial Attorneys, the Kansas Association for Justice, the Kansas City Metropolitan Bar Association, the Clay County Bar Association (Board of Directors 2007), and the Million Dollar Advocates Forum.
Ben Schmitt, Kansas City attorney, is listed as a “Top 100” trial lawyer by the National Trial Lawyers Association (NTLA). He is a member of the executive committee for the “Insurance Bad Faith” section of the NTLA.
In 2002, Mr. Schmitt received the Robert C. Welch Award from the Kansas City Metropolitan Bar Association for exemplary commitment to delivering pro bono legal services to the local community.
Kansas City attorney Ben Schmitt is a frequent speaker regarding issues related to trial advocacy. His writing has been published by the Missouri Bar regarding civil liability aspects of traffic accidents involving intoxicated motorists. He is a member of the American Board of Trial Advocates.
Along with being a Kansas City attorney, Ben Schmitt is an avid motorcycle rider who enjoys touring, road racing, and motocross and is interested in motorcycle-related cases.
Areas of Practice
- Insurance Coverage Disputes
- Auto/Motorcycle Liability
- Product Liability
- Medical Malpractice
- Kansas, 1989
- Missouri, 1990
- University of Missouri-Kansas City School of Law, Kansas City, Missouri
- J.D., Doctor of Jurisprudence – 1989
- Illinois College, Jacksonville, Illinois
- B.S., Bachelor of Science – 1981
- Major: Business Administration and Economics
Honors and Awards
- “AV” rating from Martindale Hubbell
- “Superb” rating by AVVO
- “Best of the Bar” by the Kansas City Business Journal
- Kansas Super Lawyer
- Missouri Super Lawyer
- “Top 100” trial lawyer by the National Trial Lawyers Association (NTLA)
- Robert C. Welch Award from the Kansas City Metropolitan Bar Association, 2002
- Included in “Best Lawyers in America”, 2018
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Kansas Bar Association, Member
- Missouri Bar Association, Member
- The American Association for Justice, Member
- The Missouri Association of Trial Attorneys, Member
- The Kansas Association for Justice, Member
- The Kansas City Metropolitan Bar Association, Member
- The Clay County Bar Association, Board of Directors, 2007
- The Million Dollar Advocates Forum, Member
- NTLA, Executive Committee for the “Insurance Bad Faith” section , Member
- American Board of Trial Advocates, Member
- Adjunct Professor of Trial Advocacy at University of Missouri – Kansas City School of Law
- Judicial Nominating Commission for the 7th Judicial Circuit in Missouri , Elected Member
- Board of Governors for the Missouri Association of Trial Attorneys